Sunday, June 3, 2012

Caribbean Baked Chicken with Mango

Happy Sunday! I want to share this great recipe because it is from a cookbook that I bought a few years ago, when I was doing the South Beach Diet. Now, I get it that the diet itself was not the most effective or smart one, but a lot of the healthy dishes that were associated with it are pretty good for you, with balanced nutritional ingredients and great flavors. This is one of them.

I followed the recipe pretty good- except when it came to the time of cutting up the jalapenos- I didn't listen to the part that says I should wear gloves. Let me tell you- I found out the wrong way when I had to remove my contact lenses that evening :) Also, when you use the baking pan, please line it with aluminum foil for easier cleaning of the dishes.

I love this recipe because it is a fun twist on your typical chicken breast recipe. Enjoy!


Ingredients

2 Jalapeno chile peppers, halved and seeded ( wear plastic gloves when handling- I mean it!)

1/2 onion, halved

1 slice peeled fresh ginger

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 tbsp white wine vinegar

1 tsp jerk seasoning

1 tsp ground allspice

1/4 tsp salt

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

1/2 mango, peeled and finely chopped

1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450. Line a 13" x 9" baking pan and coat it with cooking spray. In a food processor, combine the peppers, onion, garlic, ginger, oil, vinegar, jerk seasoning, allspice and salt. Process until very finely chopped.

Rub the jalapeno mixture on both sides of the chicken breasts. Place the chicken breasts, skinned side up, in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 170F and juices run clear.

Place the chicken on plates and scatter the mango on the side. Serve with steamed vegetables.

This makes 4 servings, each with 186 calories, 5 g of fat.

Love those jalapenos :)
Beijos
Thais



No comments:

Post a Comment